The Basting Stitch Called Life.



It's so funny how God works. Funny in the sense that everything always works together for His purpose and glory. So on Monday, in the season of celebration for my good friend Alysha getting a new and exciting job offer, we went to a Japanese spot I love for happy hour. Seems pretty regular right? Need to celebrate, go out and get some drinks and good food! Well the course of the evening set me up for some amazing realizations yesterday and this morning. As we sat there, excited about the new things that are coming up in our lives, toasting our celebratory beverages to our journey in 'THE DREAM SEASON" (appropriately popped in my head when we asked each other what we'll toast to), Alysha started talking about something that sparked her interest earlier that day -- the separation of religion and spirituality, how the devil likes to confuse us through his master manipulation with the use of half truths, and how as children of God we have to be able to discern what is noble and true to what we know our Pops says. 

Of course our conversation snowballed into my semi-hatred for the overuse of UNIVERSE instead of GOD, because of its all-inclusiveness and "sensitivity" to other's beliefs. It bothers me how we (as God-fearing followers) use the creation as the powerful entity rather than the Creator....we can downplay our beliefs just to appease the mass or deter conflict. No. For me, the UNIVERSE is the result of an idea GOD had. I listened to a video post this week about the universe...UNI meaning one and VERSE meaning a line of words; metrical language. The one verse (of course the first verse) in the bible says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." If the UNIVERSE had so much power -- it would have created itself. "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." (verse 2). The universe was nothing --- God waved His hand and it became! --- sorry I soapboxed....this is not what this post about today, but I just wanted to share...

Anyway!! As we sat there and discussed the idea of "putting good things out into the universe" and the devil's craftiness with the use of half truths, we realized how important it is to cling to God and maintain a deeper relationship with Him so that we know what of a message is of God and what is not. 

Upon leaving we met 3 of the most beautifully made women -- all in their 30s.We vibed, laughed and joked, and spent an additional hour talking with them after we had initial set out to leave. I love making connections like that. You are always aligned with the channels you need for your journeys. I don't know how relevant meeting these women would be in the future, but they empowered us to enjoy our 20s, don't make strict plans for the future that will eventually let you down, and stay focused on our goals. If that wasn't a group of God-sent cheerleaders on the side of the race I don't know what is! One of the women (OF COURSE SHE WAS A SOROR) said something that will be added to my life mantras. "We should live our lives like a basting stitch." A basting stitch, in sewing is a temporary stitch -- it's a stitch created to hold something in place FOR permanency but isn't permanent just in case you need to change the stitch before you sew something together. Living our lives as a basting stitch means to set goals, set a plan -- follow the course of the plan...but don't get discouraged if/when you have to change the direction to get to the goal. It's an amazing theory and I will use it to keep me motivated along this journey called life. Talk about Divine Connections.

So onto yesterday, which was Tuesday. Baby Bridge -- my lil' baby sorority sister (she really isn't that much younger than me but I jut call everyone who isn't a certain height --- MY HEIGHT --- a baby, lol) has been asking that I watch this video that encouraged her so that I can get some encouragement with my business/career concerns/etc. ---so I watched it. It was about the book "The Secret". If you're not familiar with the book, you should honestly take the time to check it out. I think my conversation with Alysha the day before really eased me into actually entertaining the video Bridgette has been trying to get me to watch since Monday morning -- (I'll credit that timing to Pops, again). My first impression of the book (years ago), was that it was something related to devil-works, so needless to say I was never really interested in seeing what it was about. I feel that if I wasn't this far in my walk with God, I'd probably be very skeptical of all the material that was shared, instead of discerning what part of it was half-truths and what parts were just foolishness. I watched it thoroughly and can honestly say it empowered me to be more direct to God about the desires of my heart. It says the secret to a happy life is "the law of attraction". There are billions of bible verses that say the same thing, or denote that we should always think positively & put positive vibes into the atmosphere.

Psalm 37:4 -- Take delight in The Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Proverbs 17:22 -- A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

Philippians 4:6 -- Don't be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Philippians 4:13 -- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Romans 12:2 -- Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Jeremiah 29:11 -- For I know the plans I have for you, declares The Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Philippians 4:8 -- Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Matthew 6:33 -- Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you.

If that isn't the real "law of attraction" I don't know what is!! After watching the video (and picking apart the God-centered parts of it) I got a renewed focus on speaking life. Many of us know the bible verses "Life and death lies in the power of the tongue..." (Prov. 18:21) and "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he..." (Prov. 23:7) but changing our natural world-focused view of negativity to ACTUALLY speaking, thinking, and acting positively AT ALL TIMES is something worth doing to achieve a more fulfilled life. Going back to the post I made about affirmations. If I speak life over my circumstances, and REALLY BELIEVE IN MY HEART THAT THESE THINGS WILL COME INTO FRUITION, by God's will -- the ultimate Lawyer of Attraction, my request will be matched or be GREATER than my exact request. **I think that realization is worthy of a praise break...gon' and shout right here...** 

The relevance of affirmation, visual reminders (i.e. a vision board) brings me to my picture above; "NOTICE THE BEAUTY IN FREEDOM". Let me say again...IT'S CRAZY HOW GOD WORKS. So, this year -- like many other folks I created a vision board. During this time, I was in a emotionally tumultuous relationship (half of which I warranted because I let my emotions consume my thoughts). I found these separate words and fashioned this sentence..."Notice the beauty in freedom"..very contradicting statement if I'm in a (fake/real) relationship. Why should I embrace freedom if I'm striving to make things work with ol' boy? But as we all know, everything happens for a reason...so of course it made it's way on the board. Up until last Friday I didn't realize how epic this season of my life is. I am 100% single. No one is calling me, nor texting (mainly because I up and changed my number). I'm not waiting by the phone, not wondering what so-and-so is or isn't doing. No unnecessary arguments, no pretending, no conversations with my girls that sound like "Oh I'd get this done but I don't think he'd like it.." TOTAL FREEDOM. Sure, being in a relationship is a wonderful thing, but like Paul said "Don't thirst for it!" (not his exact words but check out 1st Corinthians 7:25-28) In "thirsting" you lose sight of the first relationship you're to have with God. As I sat on the phone vibing with my LS Jasmine, I realized last Friday -- the actual beauty of freedom. I am figuratively walking around "in my underwear". FREE....and it feel amazing. After that realization, at this the very midpoint of the year, I started to think about all the other things I put on the board that are coming to pass. The power of visualization is real! If we put our petitions out in the atmosphere, or more importantly TO GOD, He will make it happen. In all these amazing revelations I can't do anything but sit back and say, "I see you, Pops...gon' and do Ya thing.." which is the very thing(s) I requested -- if not more. 


afya. (which means health/prosperity/blessings in Kiswahili)

2 comments:

ShariRenee said...

you the best mama! :)

Elle Bee said...

#LOVE

Thanks for sharing your heart. You da BEST!!

 

Twitter Feed.

ME.

"If they only knew....the girl with the tattoo..."

GOD'S CHILD. jewelry designer. | #teamHOUSEOFMIMI. accountant. DevaSTatingly made. closet fashionista.
voted: BEST PERSONALITY in HS. i suck at texting back.